Friday, June 26, 2009

Fleas & Ticks & Critters, Oh My!


Those of you that know me, know what a fanatic I am about flea and tick control.


My Chins are very lucky to be under the care of a wonderful holistic veterinarian for their "holistic" care (Dr. Karen Shaw Becker).


Our local veterinarian is Dr. Lori Civello who is a magnificent lady, as well. Dr. Civello understands my need for holistic care and is willing to work with me.


Anyway, through my holistic approach to fleas and tick control, I decided that I was NOT going to use anything that was not good for my Chins. The usual approach is to grab the box of Advantix, Frontline, etc. Do you all realize that these things are pesticides? Fleas and ticks are, indeed "pests", but please, please do not put pesticides on your pet! These are absorbed into your pet and they are poisons.


There are alternatives that do work.


First of all, we take a proactive approach and treat for fleas and ticks all year long, by using a product called, "Bug Off" garlic powder. Fleas and Ticks do not like the smell of garlic. You can order a 1 lb. container at http://www.springtimeinc.com/ ( look for Bug Off Garlic for Dogs). It is very reasonably priced. I sprinkle a small amount on their food every day all year long . . . it has a cumulative effect.


Secondly, when spring comes, I buy a bag of Diatomaceous Earth at your local garden shop or nursery. Sprinkle some around your yard and it will keep fleas and ticks from infesting your yard. It can be sprinkled under your pet's bed in the house or under your sofa cushions, etc. to ward off the pesky little critters (the fleas, not your dogs!). It also controls lots of other bugs, too, as well as being good for the soil (it controls slugs if you have them, too).


And the very best NATURAL flea control is one that I purchase locally (or you can by online) at Natural Pet Market from Tracey Werner (the owner - you will hear me mention her name a lot on my blog . . . http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/ ). I bought a spray made by Quantum. It's called, simply - 100% Natural Flea & Tick Repellent. After their bath, I sprayed some of this on them, not terribly generously. I went against their coat, so as to get it onto their skin a bit. I paid attention to their tummies, I sprayed their legs and tails. Made sure I did not get it in their faces. The only caveat is that if you bathe them again, or they get wet (as in a sprinkler or a pool), you need to reapply it. I have had one bottle and use it on five dogs (my four plus my daughter's dog) and have used it for two years now and I still had 1/4 of the bottle left (in fact, I gave that to a friend of mine to try). It does not take much, trust me. And we have not had a flea or tick since I have been using this spray. It is a super effective concentrated spray that quickly eliminates fleas, repels ticks and at the same time nourishes dry itchy skin, enhances the coat, and heals hot spots. It is magnetically infused with Yellow frequency to repel parasites and Turquoise frequency to nourish the skin and coat.

Dr. Martin Goldstein, D.V.M. author of The Nature of Animal Healing states, "One spray I keep around my own home is Quantum's 100% Natural Flea & Tick Repellent." "I order it by the caseload."


So, there you have it, my friends ... I told you I am fanatical about NOT using pesticides on our pets .... it's like spraying them down with Raid !!! Please don't do it, it isn't necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment