Monday, September 28, 2009

Dental Health


Oral Hygiene

Don't you just love to get those big, sloppy, doggy kisses? Well most of us do, most of the time! But, sometimes their breath is just downright nasty and not very pleasant. More importantly, the microorganisms that cause this bad breath (and periodontal disease in your pet) can actually shorten his/her life span, did you know that?

Once again, I have been called a bit obsessive, weird, the crazy dog lady, etc., but the fact of the matter is , I do whatever it takes to keep my dogs breath, gums and teeth their cleanest and healthiest. See Gizmo smiling? He is our first rescue, needs a bit of orthodontia, perhaps, but for over ten years old, his teeth are pretty good!!

This could trigger an enormous article on the importance of a good diet for your pet, but that's another time and place, puh-lease!!!! But, aside from a great diet, I have four Japanese Chins that all have relatively good teeth ... one at + 10 years old, two at just over 6 years old and one at 3 years old.

I have two products that I use regularly for their teeth that I certainly attribute 100% to their good dental health ... one is DentaTreat which is a powder (cheese-flavored) that I sprinkle over their food every day. We'll go over that product at another time.

But, today, I am getting ready to order another supply of one of my FAVORITE products — Oxyfresh. It has been ok'd by my vet and is so simple to use that it would be a shame NOT to use it!! So, I thought this would be a good time to share this special "find" with all of you!

Just a capful of Oxyfresh Pet Oral Hygiene Solution in your pet's water bowl each day, and your pet will have 'up close' fresh breath every day (I'm assuming that you are like I am and change your dog's water bowl at least once a day).

Oxyfresh is a clear, tasteless liquid that you use in their water and it keeps their teeth clean, their breath fresh and me happy (Oxyfresh uses a special trademarked solution called Oxygene ®) !!!

Non-toxic and safe, Oxyfresh with Oxygene® not only controls the bacteria that cause bad breath, but regular use can actually help your pet live a longer, healthier life by slowing the progression of periodontal disease (Periodontal disease has been called the 'silent killer of pets', and proper oral health care may actually extend the life of your pet by 2 to 5 years. It's estimated that 80% of dogs and 70% of cats over the age of 3 suffer from periodontal disease, a serious deterioration of the gums and supporting bones of the teeth. Left unchecked, resulting bacteria can enter your pet's bloodstream, causing infection or damage to vital organs such as kidneys, lungs, heart, or liver).

Oxyfresh is:

• Tasteless and odorless
• Easily added to water
• Promotes healthy gums and fights dangerous periodontal disease


Oxyfresh recommends adding one teaspoonful per quart of pet drinking water (or you can mist directly into the pet's mouth twice daily). Personally, I find it easier to just add it to their drinking water.

Oxyfresh Ingredients are:

Deionized Water (Aqua) - Oxygene® (Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide) - Zinc Acetate - Sodium Citrate - Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex - Sodium Benzoate - Sodium Hydroxide - Citric Acid

If you watch their website ( http://www.oxyfresh.com/pet/petoralhygiene.asp ) you can catch it on sale occasionally. Ordinarily, the prices are as follows:

4 oz....$6.00
16 oz....$14.00
1 Gallon...$71.25


My last purchase of Oxyfresh was two 16-oz. bottles and they have lasted me just about all year — that is for four dogs of my own (often I have my daughter's or son's dog here as well), and I do change their water at least once every day, sometimes more often, especially in warmer weather.

Oxyfresh is one of those products that I use and believe has helped maintain good dental health for all my Chins — keeps them kissable all the time !!

No comments:

Post a Comment