Thursday, July 2, 2009

Doggie Meatcakes

Recently, I received a recipe from a member of JCCARE (Japanese Chin Care and Rescue Effort www.japanesechinrescue.org ). Yesterday, I made the Chinnies their very own Doggie meatcakes. These meatcakes were fantastically easy to make (it took me 15 minutes or less to mix up). And they were a HIT for dinner last night, to say the least!! I froze the rest for dinner at a later time. Here is the recipe:


6 lbs. ground beef
8 eggs
1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1 cup brown rice
4 medium carrots, grated
2 medium potatoes, grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
Dash of salt
1 calcium tablet, crushed - I added 700-800 mg. of calcium (crush Caltrate tablet or add crushed eggshells)

While rice is cooking, mix all other ingredients in large bowl, add rice and mix well. Shape meat into balls resembling medium cupcakes. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

This is the original recipe, however, here are some variations:

You can substitute 2-3 lbs. of ground chicken for the ground beef

I did not want to use the potatoes because of all the other "starchy" stuff, so I omitted the potatoes and used small pieces of a sweet potato, a parsnip, celery, and a whole tomato. I just threw them all in my Cuisinart and chopped them up. Use whatever veggies your dog likes.

This makes approximately 48 meatcakes, depending upon the size that you make.

You can also bake them, freeze them, thaw in fridge, then re-heat in microwave for about 15 seconds to take the chill off before feeding.
Or you can do as I did and make the meatcakes and freeze them in an "uncooked" state. We have five dogs in the house at mealtime, so I froze five meatcakes per package. At dinnertime, I put the meatcakes on a microwave safe place and cook for several minutes (up to two minutes or until they look done) before feeding (make sure you cool them before you serve them, they will be hot when they come out of the microwave).

However you choose to do yours, I guarantee, they will be a hit at dinnertime and SO EASY TO PREPARE !!! Another yummy dinner that is good for your doggy !!! Bone Apetit !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment